God’s Story of Grace
Life is really about a story. It’s the story of how God pursues us in His relentless love to draw us into a relationship with Himself. In our sin and self-sufficiency, we turned away in the Garden of Eden from a perfect home and relationship with God to follow our own ways. A perfect relationship was broken and is in need of being restored. He is working to restore all of creation to Himself so His Kingdom and perfect rule and reign can once again be realized.
Two thousand years ago, God revealed Himself in His Son, Jesus Christ. Through the story of Jesus’ time on earth, He reveals the heart of God the Father by teaching truths of who God is and how to live in a life-giving and growing relationship with Him. God shows us how to begin a relationship with Him as we respond to His love through the repentance of our sin and embracing Him as our Savior and Lord. He shows us how to love, serve, and relate in humility with one another. In Jesus’ life and ministry He shows us His compassionate heart as He seeks to comfort, heal, and encourage us. When we need a fresh encounter of His love, He speaks to our hearts, “I love you and I call you my beloved.”
We have a story, too. Our own story is how we live with God, His people, and His world. Our story is about serving others in compassion and telling them that new life begins by personal faith in Him in response to His amazing grace. Jesus gives us all we need to walk as sojourners in this life until the day He calls us Home. That will be a glorious day. Until that day, we walk in love for Him and for others.
What is Grace?
Grace. It’s what God’s story is all about. God is incredibly loving and perfectly holy. But we are broken, in sin, and have fallen away from God which means our connection with God was lost. The Lord lovingly gave His Son, Jesus, to pay the cost for our sins on the cross. That is grace. Out of love, God makes the first move to offer a relationship and restore connection where there was once separation. Grace is undeserved favor. He longs for us to be back in relationship and this is possible only through responding to His grace in personal faith in Jesus. As we respond in repentance and faith, God brings us back to Himself. We become God’s children and we have the joy of a full life here on earth and eternal life forever. We become Christ-followers, growing in faith, encountering God in daily life, living as His beloved, and sharing His love with others that they may also discover the joy of knowing God. Our hope is that people would know this God and walk in His love and power.
Ephesians 2:8-9; I John 3:1, 4:7-21; Isaiah 6:3; Romans 5:1-11, 10:10; John 1:12, 10:10
Romans Road to Heaven
The Romans Road to Heaven is a way to share the good news using verses from the Book of Romans. They can help explain to someone why we need salvation, how God provides salvation, how we can receive salvation, and finally what are the results of salvation.
- Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Everyone is guilty of sinning and has done things that displease God.
- Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” The punishment we deserve for our sin is death. (This is eternal death, not merely our physical death.)
- Romans 5:8 “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Jesus paid the price for our sins by His death on the cross. God then accepted Christ’s payment for us, which is demonstrated through the resurrection of Jesus.
- Romans 10:9 “That if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” If we believe Christ died for us and His death paid the penalty for our sins, we are saved.
- Romans 5:1 “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” We now have a new relationship with God. Where we were once adversaries because of our sin, we are now friends!